Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's A Wonderful Life!

     At a recent Pinnacle meeting, we were asked to think of a Christmas movie that would describe the first half of this school year.  Very quickly, I decided that It's A Wonderful Life which has always been one of my favorites, would work for me!  The first half of the year has been a challenge with implementing the Common Core, teaching two grade levels, beginning Lucy Calkin's Reader's and Writer's Workshop, Math Investigations and using iPads for the first time, which has been an amazing experience by the way! Wow! That sounds like a lot, but my students have helped me every step of the way. They are a great group and I love spending my days watching them grow as learners.  Since I had them as first and second graders last year, I didn't have to spend a great deal of time reviewing procedures at the beginning of the year.  We got right to work!  They know my expectations, so settling into our daily routine was a piece of cake!  I am extremely proud of their accomplishments so far.  Throughout the rest of the year, we will continue to use all of our resources to explore, discover and learn as much as we can! Of course we will have tons of fun along the way!
     The kids spent some time today thinking about their plans for 2013.  They used the iPads and  worked together to create a quick movie to share their resolutions.  I have posted the movie along with photos of their "Bright Ideas" self portraits! They're so cute!






2 comments:

  1. Your students did a great job with the bright ideas activity. It looks like your class is having a bunch of fun using the ipads. Yes, It's a wonderful life is a great movie and can definitely describe a school year with a great group of students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tonya! They do love the iPads! I had to work hard to create a schedule that allows each child equal time. They do keep track you know!

      Delete